After having tried THINX, I wanted to try other brands of menstrual briefs and I came across MODIBODI, a brand unanimously appreciated by French users. Why such a love for this Australian brand but made in China?
I will explain in this long article and give you my opinion on 5 Modibodi models, after 1 year.
- the concept
- who it’s for
- how to order
- and at the end of the article, why I recommend them to you
This post is NOT sponsored
Modibodi, what is it ?
Modibodi is an AUSTRALIAN company that makes menstrual panties, but not only that: the brand also sells period swimwear, moist-wicking clothes (for sport or for heat), and nursing pads.
If the brand is Australian, the manufacturing is done in China, and products are sent from the UK, allowing economical resale prices and faster shipping than other brands of menstrual panties.
How does it work?
According to the brand, an absorbent zone of barely 3mm is sewn to the panties. This zone is composed of 3 layers:
- The top layer quickly wicks away moisture, eliminates bacteria, and limits odors, so you always stay cool and dry
- The intermediate layer safely absorbs the fluid (depending on the model you choose, equivalent to 1 to 10 tampons)
- The bottom layer is extra waterproof protection (so the blood doesn’t stain your pants)
Apparently, the fabrics used are: bamboo, merino wool and micro-fiber
There are no studies showing the use of harmful chemical processes on the brand’s fabrics.
Who is it for?
The first target is environmentally conscious women because wearing menstrual panties limits the amount of waste.
The second target is female travelers who do not want to have to carry huge packs of sanitary pads in their backpack or a sufficient supply of tampons (tampons simply do not exist in some countries).
But MODIBODI is obviously for all women. Especially those who are affected by leakage due to heavy menstruation – especially at night.
How to buy on the site?
As soon as you go on the site, I advise you to fly over the “SHOP” part to access the following sub-categories:
|UNDERPANTS||BIKINI: indented model||CLASSIC – classic collection||MAXI-24HRS: 10 tampons|
|ACTIWEAR||HI-WAIST BIKINI : notched but high waisted||SENSUAL – panties with a little lace||HEAVY-OVERNIGHT – between 3-4 tampons|
|MATERNITY – Moisture wicking – to absorb sweat||FULL-BRIEF: panty look||SEAMFREE||MODERATE-HEAVY – between 2 and 3 tampons|
|CURVY||BRIEF : low waist||VEGAN (e.g. no merino wool)||LIGHT-MODERATE – between 1-2 tampons|
|SWIMWEAR||BOYLEG||SUPER LIGHT – 0.5 tampon|
|BUNDLE PACKS||BOYSHORT||MOISTURE WICKING|
Here is what they explain about the different absorption powers:
|SUPER LIGHT||LIGHT-MODERATE Light-Moderate||MODERATE-HEAVY Moderate-Heavy||HEAVY-OVERNIGHT||MAXI-24HRS|
|5ml – 1 tampons||10ml = 2 tampons||15ml = 2-3 tampons||20ml – 3-4 tampons||50ml – 10 tampons|
|For the last days of menstruation||Moderate flow: can be used alone.|
Heavy menstruation: can be used in addition to other protection.
|Fairly heavy flow: can be used alone||Heavy flow: can be used alone|
Can be used in the evening, prevents sheet stains
|Extremely heavy flow: can be used alone|
Can be used all day long
The site is messed up because even being in the “Heavy/Overnight” category, there is a 2-3 flow panties that are displayed
Even when sorting on my size, I am shown models that no longer have my size. In short, after having galloped for long minutes, I finally manage to place an order.
But what I like is that, on the card of each panty, the absorption zone is clearly illustrated, allowing to know if the model can be used at night or not :
Each panty costs about 27€, which is quite cheap vs. other brands.
There are also lots (by 5), so for a little more than 20€ per panty, you have enough to protect yourself during your periods.
The low price can be explained by a design in Australia, but manufactured in China.
A French reader has just pointed out to me bank charges related to international payment even if the site is European and in €. It depends on your bank, it can be 0€, like 2€ like 3€ per transaction If you pay with PayPal, you won’t have to pay these fees. I always recommend paying with PayPal because you can get a free refund for the return shipping costs. And for an order coming from the UK, the return costs can be quite high. If you don’t have a PayPal account yet, I can sponsor you. Click here to get a 5€ discount for your 1st PayPal order (> 10€)
I received my panties very quickly (less than a week) in a compostable bag. Inside, there is a minimalist envelope. The whole thing was slipped into my mailbox.
No need to pick up the package at the post office. There are no customs fees to pay (I ordered from France)
My opinion on the menstrual panties MODIBODI
Photos were taken on a clean panties. You will see a link you have to click on to see the used panties, I don’t want to shock anyone 🙂
After receiving the product and before any use, the brand recommends washing it in the machine (there is a sticker on the panties reminding us to wash it before to soften the fabric). You can wash them 2 times for the most careful between you. And air dry.
The models I have chosen
- 3-4 tampons :
- SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINI Heavy-Overnight size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to the French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 3-4 tampons.
- SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF Heavy-Overnight size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to the French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 3-4 tampons.
- 10 tampons
- New! CLASSIC BIKINI MAXI-24HRS. size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to the French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 10 tampons.
- New: Sensual Hi Waist Bikini Maxi 24-hrs. size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to the French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 10 tampons.
- 2-3 tampons:
- New! RELEASABLE BIKINI Moderate-HeavyBIKINI size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to the French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 2-3 tampons.
- SENSUAL BIKINI Light-Moderate size UK 8 or US XS – which corresponds to French 36 / S. This model is equivalent to the absorption of 2 tampons.
Note: There are a lot of colors available, it’s just me who likes to wear black during the rulesBe
careful with the names of the models, they have more or less similar names, search with the full name or click on the link to find the same models. Because the Classic Bikini exists for example with the 5 levels of absorption
I would say that Modibodi has the right size, because I bought the size UK 8 = 36 FR and it fits me perfectly
When I received the panties, I was super disappointed as it seemed so huge !!! Moreover, I didn’t imagine the waist so high. I cursed myself for long minutes, then when I tried them on, I was surprised at the comfort they offered. I was expecting to be curled up and not be able to breathe because of the high waist, but no, the fabric is very soft and elastic. It hugs the body pretty well. So I recommend that you choose your current size.
|US Size||French Size|
Here is a zoom of the absorbent part, edged with a satin fabric on one model and a line of overlock on the other models.
I find that the crotch is a little smaller compared to other brands (without being indented). But then it fits my body perfectly, while the others seem to overflow/curl a little on both sides. I can’t tell you if it’s just a specificity of my size (XS) or all the panties of the brand are like that. In any case, the four models I bought have a rather small width between the legs (6 to 6.5cm).
- SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINI 100% Smart Merino / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester – this corresponds to the three layers that make up the absorbent part. The area in direct contact with the skin is made of merino wool, it doesn’t itch, it’s very soft. The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odour etc.
- SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odor, etc.: 100% Smart Merino / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester – this corresponds to the three layers that make up the absorbent part. The area in direct contact with the skin is made of merino wool, it doesn’t itch, it’s very soft. The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odour etc.
- CLASSIC BIKINI MAXI-24HRS: 100% Smart Merino / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester – this corresponds to the three layers that make up the absorbent part. The area in direct contact with the skin is made of merino wool, it doesn’t itch, it’s very soft. The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odour etc.
- Sensual Hi-Waist Bikini Maxi 24-hrs: 100% Smart Merino / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester – this corresponds to the three layers that make up the absorbent part. The area in direct contact with the skin is made of merino wool, it doesn’t itch, it’s very soft. The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odour etc.
- DETACHABLE BIKINI The wool is anti-bacterial, anti-odor, etc.: it is a “vegan” panty, so the fabric in contact with the skin is synthetic and not merino wool, it attracts dust and the texture is a little “velvet” hyper thick, I do not like too much. In compo, it gives 85% Polyester 15% Spandex / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester
- SENSUAL BIKINI : 100% Smart Merino / 80% Polyester 20% Polyamide / 100% Polyester
The model DETACHABLE BIKINI has the advantage of having staples, which facilitate the change of panties (without having to remove the pants and shoes) and for drying, it’s great! However it’s a “vegan” panty, so the fabric in contact with the skin is synthetic and not merino wool, it attracts dust and the texture is a little “velvet”, a little “layer”, I don’t like it at all.
This is what the fabric on the other side looks like (non-absorbent)
- SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINIwe are on classic bamboo
- SEAMFREE FULL BRIEFA little satin, but elastic… it surely serves to prevent any potential leakage. The fabric contains 91% Polyamide and 9% Elastane, hence its slightly elastic side.
- CLASSIC BIKINI MAXI-24HRS, we are on classic bamboo
- Sensual Hi Waist Bikini Maxi 24-hrs: 95% Bamboo, 5% Spandex
- DETACHABLE BIKINI The fabric is a little satin, but elastic … The fabric contains 90% Polyamide and 10% Spandex, hence its slightly elastic side.
- SENSUAL BIKINI : 95% Bamboo, 5% Spandex
So that you can see the absorbent areas better, here are the pictures showing the absorbent areas at the FRONT and REAR (the darker area).
You can see that, apart from the SENSUAL BIKINI RELEASABLE and SENSUAL BIKINI model equivalent to 2 tampons, the absorbent zone on the front is particularly large. Women who sleep on their stomach will like that! The zone at the back is also very very large, going up to the lower back. It’s impossible to stain the sheets with such huge absorbent zones.
The 24-Hrs model has an absorbent part on the front that goes up to the pubis. That’s why it is called 24-Hrs, yes! Almost all the panties are absorbent so…
The Detachable model has an absorption of only 2-3 tampons so its small absorbent parts are expected
Model SENSUAL BIKINI Light-Moderate absorbs up to 2 tampons so its absorbent part is hardly larger than a sanitary napkin (sorry for the absence of pictures but I’m lazy)
Thesix models have different thicknesses, which is strange since some models have the same absorption capacity.
- With the model SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINI (3-4 tampons), you can feel that there is something, it’s thicker and less pleasant than the SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF But it’s still more comfortable than a classic sanitary napkin.
- At SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF (3-4 tampons), the absorbent part is much thinner than a standard sanitary napkin (3mm). The fabric is super soft and feels like cotton. You forget to have menstrual protection. At one point, I freaked out because I thought I didn’t have protection ahahahha so much the feeling is so liberating. Whereas with a menstrual panty from THINX, you still feel an extra layer of fabric. This isn’t at all the case with MODIBODI. No feeling of wetness either, I don’t know where it all went lol 🙂 Even though I’m not used to wearing things with a high waistband, I’m surprised that it doesn’t bother me at all. The fabric is very nice.
- CLASSIC BIKINI MAXI-24HRS (10 tampons) and Sensual Hi-Waist Bikini Maxi 24-hrs (10 tampons): the absorbent part is barely thicker than SEAMFREE FULL BRIEFIt absorbs up to 10 tampons, I don’t know how they did it, but it’s a great job. Same remarks as SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF it is totally forgotten.
- DETACHABLE BIKINI (2-3 tampons): it is less absorbent but the thickest. As soon as you don’t use merino wool anymore, you can feel it. I don’t like this “velvet” feeling, it’s unpleasant. It’s as rotten as a classic sanitary napkin, I’m always under stress when I wear it.
- SENSUAL BIKINI (2 tampons): It’s so comfortable that if I run out of lingerie (because I didn’t do my laundry on time), I can wear it even if I don’t have ahihi period
- All models except Seamfree have labels. It doesn’t itch but I don’t like this system
- For your convenience, there is absolutely no label for SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF because seamfree means “no sewing”. Everything is printed directly on the inside of the panty. I really like that the composition is clearly indicated, this isn’t the case for all brands of menstrual panties. The instructions for cleaning the panties are indicated as well, it’s convenient for me who never keeps the instructions or packaging 🙂
In terms of comfort, clearly the model SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF is my favorite. Even if the waist goes up very high, it’s not embarrassing.
With MODIBODI, with moderate rules, 0 odor. Even with cotton panties, outside of menstruation, there is still a little smell not super glamorous at the end of the day isn’t it, but with MODIBODI, with moderate menstruation, I don’t know how they manage with their micro-layers of fabric, but no smell is to be reported.
With heavy periods, it smells a bit like blood *when the panties are full*. Yes, the blood has a slightly metallic smell because it contains iron (which also gives the color of our blood). I find that compared to Thinx, or the hygienic services, it’s not as horrible. It’s a discreet smell that can be camouflaged in a plastic bag hidden in the handbag for example (if you change your panties at work)
During the first trials, I only used the 3-4 pad panties (Sensual & Seamfree) during the days of moderate menstruation, just in case… I was on a road trip but I could go all day with just one Modibodi menstrual panty. Yes, miracle, it holds EVERY DAY!
Then, convinced by its capacity, I used the 3-4 pad panties (Sensual & Seamfree) for the 1st days of bleeding. I’m the kind of person who stains the sheets, so… I always need competent products. Unfortunately, when the flow is too abundant and the blood comes too fast, there is a stain of humidity on the panties. It has a really hard time absorbing everything at once.
- for moderate menstruation: it’s a joy! even for the Detachable panties, which is unpleasant because of its rotten texture, but still absorbent (!!)
- for very heavy periods: to be reviewed, because there is a feeling of moisture (less than a sanitary napkin, but there is a trace of moisture anyway).
I will show you two pictures of the model SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF :
- i wore it on the 1st day of rule (very abundant rule), I put it on at 12 o’clock, here is the state of the panties at 1:45 pm (link of the picture, watch out for the eyes). The panties aren’t full of their absorption because they can last for several hours. Moreover, I know that in the rules, there isn’t only blood, the viscous part (mucous membranes) is hardly absorbable by the OK ruler panties. But what about the mark of blood around it? Other marks manage to absorb the blood completely, without leaving a trace of moisture all around like Mobibodi.
- After 8 hours, here are the damped panties (link to the picture, I hope I don’t offend anyone, watch out for the eyes especially if you’re on a smartphone). The blood starts to stain a little bit the border too, there is no leak but if I keep on wearing it a few more hours, we are close to a leak at the edges.
At night, the absorption zone is much wider, but it protects perfectly well at night: it goes up to the lower back and the front zone is very wide, ideal for women who sleep on their stomach (and whose blood flows forward). Usually, I had to wake up in the middle of the night to check my pads or wake up very early to change them, with Modibodi I was able to sleep in without fear.
Next, I will show you 3 pictures of the model 10 stamps CLASSIC BIKINI MAXI-24HRS
It was worn on the 1st day of menstruation (hemorrhagic), at 9:30 am, here are the 3 pictures (from left to right, click here to see, always pay attention to your eyes) taken at 12h, 15h, and 20h. We see spots of humidity on the 2 first pictures because of the viscous part (mucous membranes), always difficult to absorb by the ruler panties. But when menstruation starts to calm down a bit around 7 pm, the panties become almost dry. After 11h30 of use, they are still NOT full, I think I can still keep them for a while, as you can see, the edges are perfectly dry from beginning to end. But hey, I like to change after a day of work so I took another one for the evening and night. I’m really impressed by this model, it’s the 1st time that a menstrual panty holds so long a menstrual period day for me. I think that if I have a long train or a long bus to take, I won’t be afraid anymore.
It has just been released in October so it is often out of stock. Wait a few days if it’s the case, stocks come back quite quickly, don’t miss this model! especially at this price (26€ now 28€!)
To be quiet, you will need 2 panties per day (work / home day). For a complete cycle, counting the drying time, you need to buy about 6 panties. Modibodi offers packages of 5, which reduces the cost per menstrual panty.
If the size of the crotch makes me a bit doubtful about its capacity, finally, I had no leakage: front/back nor at the crotch provided I change my panties as soon as it’s full (in my case it‘s 8h max on the day of heavy periods and all day long on the day of moderate periods)
I recommend you to check if the crotch is suitable for you because menstrual panty leaks are usually in the crotch area.
The width of the crotch is a bit smaller than other brands. So buy a panty to test – and make sure it’s your size before you start buying a full set. This width is the same for the models I bought.
I add this part because you are asking me questions about washing. Please know that less is more. Sometimes we buy things that are too expensive and take too much care of them but in the wrong way and destroy them without knowing why. Menstrual panties are the same:
- Machine wash at least once before use
- You don’t have a washing machine at home or you don’t have a “short wash” program
- As soon as you change your panties, rinse the used panties under the tap with cold water and rub until the water is no longer pink. What happens to the blood under hot water? It cooks. That’s right! So cold water is mandatory, and do not use soap, especially greasy soaps like Marseille soap or Aleppo soap.
- If you only wash by hand, finish with a detergent for handwashing. A standard detergent. At the supermarket, you will easily find a liquid detergent like this in a blue tube
- Wring out by hand and let air dry. Not on the radiator, not in a dryer. Air dry.
- At the end of the rules, gather all your panties and machine wash. with a standard detergent ( Skip, the Cat, whatever…). No fabric softener, no strong detergent (or anti-stain). Less is more
- Allow air drying. Not on the radiator, not in a dryer. Air dry.
- You have a machine at home with a “short wash” program:
- As soon as you change your panties, rinse the used panties under the tap with cold water and rub until the water is no longer pink. Do you have what happens to the blood under hot water? It cooks. That’s right! So cold water is mandatory, and do not use soap, especially greasy soaps like Marseille soap or Aleppo soap.
- At the end of the day, I make a 15-minute mini-machine to wash and wring out my panties (already washed by hand), so that they dry faster. I use a normal detergent (Skip, the Cat, it doesn’t matter…). No fabric softener, no strong detergent (or anti-stain). Less is more. My first Modibodi panties (Seamfree model) had to be machine washed at least 36 times, and they are still at the top 😀
- Leave to air dry. Not on the radiator, not in a dryer. Air dry.
- The site is really rotten: not translated into French, we don’t understand anything. What should we buy? What panties are available in my size? It’s the artistic blur
- The site is often out of stock (I don’t know if it’s related to the coronavirus though since the manufacturing is done in China)
- They cannot be dried in a machine but must be dried in the open air. If you don’t have a machine and wash them by hand, it takes an
eternitywhole day to dry => for a complete cycle, you have to buy at least 6 panties, to alternate (3 per day so, wash the same day to have enough to alternate)
- The crotch area is a little less wide than the other brands, you have to test to see if it fits your morphology
- Manufacturing in China. Meh. But the delivery is made from a European site, hence the fast delivery times
- The sensation of dampness (less than sanitary napkins but still moist) for very, very heavy periods
At equal absorption (3-4 buffers), the model SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF Heavy Overnightin terms of comfort and absorption is preferable to the model SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINI Heavy Overnight: thinner absorption zone, crotch lined with satin fabric (less risk of leakage) + and the back is wider.
However, if you’re pulpier than me, I’ve had feedback that the SEAMFREE FULL BRIEF Heavy Overnight model tends to warp and widen (this model has no seams). So unless you’re into XS like me, prefer the ruggedness of SENSUAL HI WAIST BIKINI Heavy Overnight.
The BIKINI Moderate-Heavy DETACHABLE model (2-3 tampons) is the one I hate the most because the fabric is very unpleasant and attracts dust. However, it is very absorbent and really suits very light menstruation days. But for people who are absolutely looking for a VEGAN model, it’s for you! Personally, I hate it so much that it ended up in the trash can.
- For normal or moderate periods, prefer the 3-4 pad model (Heavy-Overnight):
- Odor: 10/10. Absorption: 10/10. Design: meh, but the comfort is there 🙂 With its 8h++ absorption on a moderate menstrual day, you don’t need to change your panties and wash them at work, which is a huge advantage. I recommend keeping your eyes closed if you have a normal or moderate period. The prices are very attractive and there are several colors and models.
- For very heavy periods :
- Model 10 tampons (Maxi 24-hrs): Odor: 9/10. Absorption: 8.5/10 (traces of moisture). Design: meh, but the comfort is there 🙂 No need to change at work, I am very impressed by this model. It is less thick than a standard sanitary napkin, there is a little bit of humidity not too annoying, but the comfort is there and most of all! The absorption power on a day of bleeding periods, very good job! For those who are afraid that the elastic tightens the waist too much, you can opt for the Sensual Hi-Waist Bikini Maxi 24-hour model with lace, but honestly, the elastic is really very soft, I had a little apprehension at the beginning but it gets forgotten.
- Model 3-4 tampons (Heavy-Overnight): Odor: 9/10. Absorption: 7/10 (traces of moisture). Design: meh but the comfort is there 🙂 After 4 hours, when menstruation is too abundant, it is better to change it because the feeling of humidity can be uncomfortable. In reality, it still holds up to 8 hours (maximum). But the advantage is that these panties don’t smell much, so you can change them at work, rinse them quickly, hide them in your bag while waiting to wash them at home without any problem. I still recommend it because the quality/price ratio remains very satisfactory. But keep in mind that you have to change it during the day or wear a tampon or a washable pad in addition.
- For the end of my period or when I’m not sure if my period is coming today or tomorrow, I wear the model SENSUAL BIKINI Light-Moderate which is equivalent to 2 tampons. It is very beautiful, very light, and was offered to me. But if I have to pay about twenty euros, I prefer to wear a very absorbent panty at the end of the rule rather than multiply the absorption power and not get out of it anymore (panties are very similar). With 6 panties and 3 different absorption powers, I already get the cabbage 😀
Updated January 2021: after one year of use, they are still as absorbent as ever.
Be very careful which brand you buy, because there are more and more clever people who resell Chinese Waterproof panties bought 2€ and call them “menstrual panties made in France”. Some of them have been put forward by reality TV starlets. Avoid buying them on Amazon, and read the Terms and Conditions and Legal Notice before buying. Any menstrual panty for less than 25€ is suspect.